Tuesday 24 January 2012

TFiOS - it has arrived

My copy of 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green has arrived and, to use a word one of his characters uses a lot, it's grand. So far, I mean. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. It has such a down-to-earth style and the irony, oh the irony... Yeah. Big surprise! I like books because of their irony. It's a signed copy and I got the version with green signature (yay!). No hanklerfish or anything, but that was not the point of pre-ordering it, anyway. All I wanted was the autographed copy. The 5-euro-discount was nice too.


********************************

In the meanwhile, I managed to finish the book. It was long since it took me this little to get to the end of a tome. I believe that part of the reason I liked it so much is that I am familiar with John's way of speaking (I have a subscription to vlogbrothers' videos). It didn't feel like I was reading something a stranger wrote, but the words of someone I knew, the words of a friend.

The book is about teenagers who suffer of cancer, but more than that it's about how everything is a consequence of dying and how pain demands to be felt.

Anyway... I'm not going to praise the book too much, as it is neither my job nor my duty. I will say this, though: I loved it and I will read it again, which is not something I can say about all the books I've read.

Here's John reading the first chapter of the book. He also recorded himself reading the second chapter. You can find it on youtube. Enjoy!






On the real life side of things, I am moving. It feels good. I mean, I really enjoyed living with my sister and my brother-in-law, but hey! We all knew it was temporary and we are all glad it was. I miss having time and space all to myself (I'm pretty sure they do too) and soon I will. The room is pretty small and needs some reparations, but I'm more than happy to do them. And, hopefully, I will write my next blog post on my own computer, at my own desk, under my own bed. Yes. My desk will be under my bed. And yes, it is possible.

Until next time!

R

2 comments:

  1. Oh,I love the sound of that new room. Can I get ur adress, when you move?

    And I'll try out the book, if you say it's good. :) (Definitely not the only one who enjoys irony).

    hugs n kisses

    ReplyDelete