Monday 24 January 2011

One shot, one kill.... day one

I have always envied the precision that photographers who work with film have. Their precision is rooted in the fact that they cannot waste shots. They have to save film for whatever is important. In the digital age we have no need for such things. I can store more than 400 shots on my 2 GB card and can shoot up to 1000 shots without recharging the battery of my camera. Of course being able to photograph more with less is a good thing, but it can make you less aware of things happening while you're photographing, mainly because the camera allows you to shoot again without too much concern about memory space or battery life. It can lead to being a bit sloppy and relying too much on post-processing. Of course you can easily straighten a photograph or make a few colour adjustments, but what happens when you have to straighten... let's say 300 shots. Take it from a guy who learned this the hard way.. you never want to have to do that.
That's why I'm starting a project today. I will take 7 shots, one each day of this week and upload them to my blog. I will tweak the photographs using Photoshop, but I will also post the original exposure. The photos will be taken on manual mode and will probably include very different subjects and light conditions. I will not post any technical regarding the exposure settings. If, however, somebody requires it, I will be happy to provide. I am sure there will be a few failed shots and I will post them too... I do believe you can learn something from every photo you take.I hope to learn something this week.

I started by working with a tripod. I find it reassuring and it was a good way to get started. This is what came out of it:


Abstract artist

Original exposure:



That's all for today.. six more to come....


R

No comments:

Post a Comment